President — Gary Helms, 1092 Vanderbilt Rd., Texarkana, AR 71854; phone: 870-772-3834; e-mail: Arkansastrappers@aol.com
Vice President — Aaron Hitchcock, 9331 Sister Ln., Mulberry, AR 72947; phone: 479-997-8401
Secretary/Treasurer — Karen Davis, 1350 Hwy 70 E, DeQueen, AR 71832; phone: 870-642-3674
NTA Director — Mike Fischer, 13823 Masoner Rd., Lonsdale, AR 72087; phone: 501-939-2325
Editor — Bill Fields, 543 Riverbend Rd., Mammoth Spring, AR 72554; phone: 870-625-7457; e-mail: email@example.com
• Individual membership including subscription to The Trapper & Predator Caller — $20
• Family membership with subscription — $25
Complete membership application on first page of
association section and send dues to:
1350 Hwy 70 E, DeQueen, AR 71832
The 2011 ATA Spring Directors Meeting was held at Mike and Virgie Fischers home in Lonsdale on April 16th. The meeting lasted from 10:00am until 4:30pm with a break for a bologna sandwich lunch, to quote the meeting host “In recognition of the current economy”. Virgie and the other lady volunteers brought the economy lunch out of recession with turkey and ham lunchmeat, pickles, tomatoes, broccoli, carrots, cheese, a bag of chips, cold drinks and outstanding desserts.
This months Editor Report is a summary of the business discussed at the Spring Directors Meeting:
– The 2011 Annual Convention will be held September 8th and 9th at Petit Jean State Park. David White and Vettie Waller are the general organizers this year. Mathers Lodge is under renovation so will not be open for business for rooms or restaurant.
– The 2011 ATA Trappers Workshop will be held October 28-30th at Camp Clearfork and will be organized by Aaron Hitchcock. The cabins at Camp Clearfork will accomodate 60 trappers and first time attendees will have first choice. This year we are hoping to use the field behind the cafeteria for overflow tent camping so no one is turned away.
– The 2012 ATA Fur Sale will be organized by Donald Wilcox. A firm date has not been set at this time although the plans are for the third weekend of February, the same weekend as this year. The location will either be the National Guard Armory or Pope County Fairgrounds.
– A committee has been formed to develop a proposal for how ATA will operate if divided into membership districts. The committee members are Gary Gray, Aaron Hitchcock, Sterlen Kirschman, Dub Shankle and Rocky Weeks. The proposal will be submitted for vote during the General Business Meeting at the annual convention. Copies of the proposal should be available before the convention and, if possible, printed in this Editors Report for August.
– Gary and Brenda Gray represented the ATA at the 2011 NTA Southeast Regional Leadership Conference April 9th in Chattanooga, TN. The NTA holds these regional conferences to inform state trapping associations about current NTA activities such as membership, fundraising, conventions, employee and data management. The NTA asks that if you are an NTA member and have an email address, please make sure they have it on file so that they can send alerts regarding politics and law that affects trappers.
– The 2012 NTA Southeastern Regional Convention will be held at Pope County Fairgrounds in Russellville, AR. This regional convention is usually held the second week of May but due to scheduling conflicts at the fairgrounds, the 2012 dates are April 13th-15th. The ATA will need volunteers to work the gate, parking, vendor building, demo area, cleanup and more. More info will be available after ATA representatives meet with Dan Skurski, NTA Convention Coordinator in August.
– ATA is now an affiliate of the Arkansas Wildlife Federation. The AWF was founded in 1936 and advocates environmental protection while at the same time supports the sustainable harvest of animals for food and for pleasure. For more information, contact AWF at (501) 224-9200, or http://www.arkansaswildlifefederation.com/history.html. ATA representatives will be attending the annual AWF convention in Little Rock in August.
– The ATA Trapper Talk internet message board is now selling trapping related advertising to pay for the website. The cost for an 800×180 banner ad on the front page is $50/year. Ads appear one at a time and randomly cycle through the paid advertisers. If you are interested in advertising but don’t have internet-ready graphics, we can scan your business card into a digital image.
– A new “Ask a Director” forum has been created on the Trapper Talk message board. ATA officers and directors will be monitoring this forum and answering any question you may have about ATA policy, procedures or general business. Feel free to contact an offficer/director any time whether by phone, postal mail, email or on the message board.
– Note for renewing members: The renewal form that TPC sends out come in three parts. Please return the entire form, not just part of it. Sometimes we only receive one section and that one has to be sent back to TPC, leaving ATA without a copy of your renewal.
It’s been a rough spring with heavy rain, thunderstorms, hail and tornadoes across Arkansas and the entire southeastern US. Thoughts and prayers go out to everyone affected by this weather.
— Mark Alexander